It’s been a hard day. I don’t like to get political in this blog, preferring to keep my personal and professional life separate, but that’s a hard thing when you’re a writer–a career that, inherently, requires you to expose so much of yourself. So it’s been a hard day. And I know I’m not the only one who’s feeling that way.
I have a tendency to be very self-deprecating (and even self-defeating) at times. It can take a toll on my confidence. One of the things I’ve done through the years, when I get into that mindset, is write down all the things I like and value about myself–the hell with what everyone else things. Today, though, what I need is a reminder of what I like about the world–all the stuff that brings me joy and strength. So here it is, in no particular order.
- My amazing husband, whose joy and optimism and zest for life are just unparalleled. There’s so many sub-bullets I could put under this. Hugging my husband. Spending time just chilling with him. Watching movies. Listening to him talk. How he makes me laugh all the time. The way he’s so good with animals. He’s the coolest person I know, and I adore him.
- Our cats, cuddly and goofy and crazy.
- I have the same best friends I’ve had since high school.
- I have in-laws who actually like me!
- I’m closer to my brother than I ever thought I would be.
- I have the coolest social media friends ever. Every time I scroll through my Facebook feed, I feel like I’ve found my people, weird and geeky as they are. But they’re also so intelligent, and they challenge me to think about things outside my own experience. Even when things get political–as they often do on Facebook–it never devolves into the kind of name-calling and straw-man arguments that I see elsewhere on the internet.
- I am following my dream of being a writer!
- J. and I have a cozy, lovely house–and it’s ours, not a rental!
- Volunteering at the shelter. Much as I love my own cats, I can’t overlook how much joy it brings me to help other people find their Annabels, their Shays, their Jupiters.
- We have the most ridiculously comfortable sectional couch ever made. I spent many hours napping there.
- BOOKS! SO MANY BOOKS! All the world of books!
- I work in a cool office where intelligent, challenging discussions are par for the course.
- Guapos (the Mexican restaurant down the street).
- Disney World.
- The traveling I’ve done, and the traveling I will do.
- Creating new worlds in my imagination.
- Starbucks Frappucinos.
- The excitement of knowing you have a package on the way.
- Streaming video, whether TV shows or movies or whatever. I can watch what I want INSTANTLY! Technology rocks!
- My childhood teddy bear, Hugge, which is still sitting on our chest of drawers.
- Ghiaradelli’s Milk Chocolate and Caramel Bites.
- Going to the gym. I forget it sometimes, but I shouldn’t, because spending a few hours a week sweating just makes me feel better about myself and my body (which I’ve always had a fraught relationship with).
- The sci-fi/fantasy-themed artwork we have scattered around the house.
- Going to conventions.
- Sleeping. There’s nothing like curling up onto a nice, warm bed (or couch) and drifting off to dreamland. I nap often.
That’s not everything, but it’s enough for today.
So that’s my advice to you for today: find your joy. Take care of yourself. Do stuff to make yourself happy, even if it’s just a little, and even if it’s just for the moment. There’s strength in your happy place, and there’s nothing wrong with needing to escape there for a while.